In 1858, by his Sovereign Ordinance of 1 June 1858, Prince Charles III promulgated the basic charter for primary and secondary education in the Principality of Monaco. The Girls' School, founded by Father Barré, was run by nuns, the Ladies of Saint-Maur. As for the boys, the Brothers of the Christian Schools (Lasallians) were responsible for primary public education as of 4 October 1868. Brother Thionis - depicted on the stamp - was the first director of the House of Monaco, a position he held until 1879. Then the "crisis of vocations" gradually led the community to hand over the running to lay teachers and educators, until their final departure on 10 June 1989.
|Printing process||3 colours steel-engraving|
|Size of the stamp||40 x 31.77 mm horizontal|
|Quantity of issue||45,000 stamps|
|Note||Sheet of 10 stamps with illuminations|
Office des Émissions de Timbres-Poste © 2019